Monday, November 14, 2011

Final Project ideas

For this project i'm not quite sure what I wanna do...it has to incorporate alternate printing techniques which has a huge field of possibilities. I have some ideas, but at this point I haven't had the chance to experiment with anything, since it has to deal with the printing process and not necessarily the subject process. I was thinking about keeping the same photos from the first project, the ones of Point Lookout with vaseline smeared on the lens, but printing them in a different way.


One technique that I saw was printing on cloth, which i think could be a really neat way to print, but might also be a bit expensive depending on the process and cloth needed for the work.






One thing though is that the process of printing on fabric seems a bit daunting..it sounds kind of hard but probably would be easy after doing it once... "If you search on the web you’ll find a number of sites that tell how to do this on small, dye-based inkjet printers. The instructions generally run: either soak the fabric with a product called Bubblejet Set, or a home-made recipe of soda wash and fabric softener (this is to remove the sizing and prepare the material to accept the dye ink); hang to dry; iron onto freezer paper (the freezer paper supports the fabric as it goes through the printer and will easily release the fabric after printing); rinse the printed fabric in water with fabric softener to set the dye, then hang to dry." (reality tourist.wordpress.net)




Another option that i was thinking of was printing on canvas. I know this isn't anything new but I've always wanted to print on a material that really makes photos look professional and neat. With my subject matter i think it would work great. I'd also like to print bigger if i choose this option, probably a bit bigger than 11X14, since i've already tried experimenting with that size. Printing on canvas doesn't seem that difficult, but it sounds like i'd have to send it out if i don't have the right materials. I'm still looking up information on the process but this is one of my better options.








One last option is to try printing on glass. I've always wanted to incorporate Sally Mann's wet plate collodian printing but since getting some of the materials is rather hard to get (ether, etc) I wanted to try and incorporate other ways of printing on glass. I could use the technique that was shown to us in class which I honestly want to use as a fail-safe so I don't have to print anything out on the printer first...but if I can't find any other technique i'll just stick with that.











Out of all of the techniques I think i want to stick with printing on fabric first, then canvas, then glass. Depending on the difficulty level hopefully one of these options proves to be a new and exciting way for me to print my art.

No comments:

Post a Comment