Thursday, April 5, 2012

Transformation of the public space and Distracted Reception readings

"Coffee houses-became the center of literacy after they were built to suit the upper class with hot chocolate and coffee"(p.32.) I really like this quote at the very beginning of the chapter reading, primarily because I think that it still applies to today. There are numerous buildings that house literature, arts and even conversation, but also produce this by relying on the sales of hot chocolate and coffee. I even work at a coffee shop and I know firsthand the connections it brings among different genres of topics. I found it interesting though that only men were admitted, which strikes me as odd since men aren't as talkative as women are, and it would seem as though women would be the main sources of conversation and even the sale of beverages.
The distracted reception reading focused on the distraction of artwork and how it changed from cinema to television. Points such as "the cult of distraction" interested me primarily because they focused on things like 16mm film and how they are now being revived by "backward looking avant garde, in search of more artistic materials" (p.67.) It's almost like, just because 16mm film honestly, "looked cool," thats the only reason why it's being brought back into the art world. Though it makes me wonder if things like 16mm film are looked at by us now, then what kind of objects, ideas and materials will our future try to revive from our current past. I think that a lot of things now are focused on the digital side, especially with artwork, and therefore things like old computer models or systems, as well as other older models of digital construction and means will be looked at as "the cool" way of making artwork. Though I also think that in our current era we look at older methods of painting, photographing, and even drawing that just seem more interesting than our current methods. As a society I think we'll always look at artwork in that sense and that's what makes focuses our attraction. Based on distraction, I'm not sure I understand how distraction is a side-effect of attempts to produce attentiveness, and how attention is a norm produced by the fear of distraction. The only thing that comes to mind when I think of this is how side-tracked someone can get while trying to focus so hard on their own work, as if trying to produce a perfect piece of art can just lead to constantly trying to find different ways to accomplish that, which is distraction in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment